Magazine (Mag) Well

closeup of pistol mag well
mag well of rifle

A magazine (mag) well is the area of a firearm into which magazines are inserted. Different forms of magazine inserts exist, most notably where the magazine locks in or slides in and is locked in place until the magazine release is pressed to allow the magazine to be separated from the firearm. On a semi-auto handgun, the magazine well is at the base of the grip, while on rifle, it is usually placed in front of the trigger guard.

The information contained on this website is provided as a service to USCCA, Inc. members and the concealed carry community, and does not constitute legal advice. We make no claims, representations, warranties, promises or guarantees as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information disclosed.

Uncover the Backstory Free Book

Read the new book that reveals the little-known history of the US Concealed Carry Association.

Are You Born to Protect?

Get Your FREE USCCA Sticker! Enter your email below:


Your FREE book download is on its way to your inbox.

But the U.S. Concealed Carry Association is more than just a story…

We're the best resource to help responsible Americans keep their loved ones safe.

Learn More


Your sticker will be shipped as soon as possible.

But the USCCA is about more than a look or a tagline…

Laptop and mobile training view

We’re the lifesaving resource every protector needs to keep their family safe.

Learn More