One never knows when the devil will come to the door.
At 7:40 a.m. on May 18, 2018, a 17-year-old Santa Fe High School student, having stolen his father’s Remington 870 pump shotgun and a .38-caliber Rossi revolver, opened his school door in Texas and began firing. The shooter killed eight students and two teachers. He wounded another 14, including a police officer.
One of the students murdered was Sabika Sheikh, a foreign exchange student from Pakistan. She has now become much more than a life cut tragically short.
U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D), from Texas District 18 — representing Houston’s inner city — is using Sheikh’s name to present HR 127. She calls it the “Sabika Sheikh Firearm Licensing and Registration Act.”
Jackson Lee, a former lawyer and judge, possesses a loose interpretation of the Constitution. To her, it is a road map by which the federal government may exercise increasing control over its citizens. Thus, she filed HR 127 “to provide for the licensing of firearm and ammunition possession and the registration of firearms, and to prohibit the possession of certain ammunition.”
The Department of Justice through the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)
To license each and every owner (must be at least 21 years old) and regulate the possession of firearms and ammunition
Owners must report each make, model and serial number; his or her identity; the date of every acquisition; the storage location; and the name of anyone who may use the gun, along with the duration of use
- The bill gives the attorney general may-issue discretion and the ability to revoke a license.
- If passed, gun owners have three months to comply.
- Prospective licensees must:
- have a clean NICS check;
- undergo a psychological evaluation by an “approved” shrink, who may require everyone in the home (including former spouses) to be evaluated;
- pass an approved training course (at least 24 hours); and
- buy an $800 insurance policy from the attorney general.
- The database of guns and owners will be open to public viewing.
- Licensing and regulation also apply to antique firearms.
- “Military-style” weapons require an additional 24 hours of training, including live-fire.
- The “usual suspects” will be denied gun possession for any mental health issue, any felony, any suicide attempt, and any addiction to alcohol or “controlled substance.”
- The ATF can force one to surrender one’s license, firearms and ammunition.
- A license is good for three years, and the holder must then have more training with “the weapon subject to the license.”
- Semi-automatic rifles and handguns are regulated as “military style.”
- One cannot “transfer” a gun to an unlicensed person — as a loan or a gift — without first notifying ATF, and that person must be 18 years old.
- .50-caliber or greater ammunition is prohibited.
- “Large-capacity” feeding devices (magazines, drums, etc.) of more than 10 rounds are prohibited. [The .22 is specifically excluded.]
Rep. Jackson Lee’s bill includes a significant section on fines — up to $100,000 — and imprisonment — anywhere from 25 to 40 years — for failing to comply with her bill’s provisions or for “knowingly” violating them.
What to Do About HR 127
With the federal legislative and executive branches of government in the hands of progressives who apparently share few of our core values, we must resist HR 127 and other repressive measures. You can do so with some of the below options:
- Make certain that your firearms cannot fall into the hands of children or unauthorized persons.
- Obtain a concealed carry license and the training to be prepared. Numbers matter.
- Consider donating to the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action.
- Contact your elected U.S. Representative or attend his or her town hall meetings.
- Write and mail an actual letter to a local media outlet.
- Warn friends and neighbors about this threat to our way of life.
- Use social media to responsibly protest this menace to liberty.
It’s easy to find the names and contact information of local political figures online. Be smart; don’t use abusive language. Do at least one of the above. Then pray for the heart and soul of America. The devil is knocking at our door.