Washington permit process

How To Get Your Washington Concealed Carry Permit

Whether you're new to owning a firearm or have had a gun for home defense for years, getting a concealed handgun permit may seem daunting. It doesn't have to be. There are many reasons and ways to carry a concealed weapon, but the first step is knowing Washington's concealed carry laws. Applying for a CPL varies by state.

Read about the process for getting a Washington Concealed Pistol License below.

Steps To Get A Washington Concealed Carry Permit


DOWNLOAD and complete an application form, or visit a local city police department or sheriff's office.


BRING the completed application to the law enforcement office with the following:

  • Proof you have lived in the state for at least 90 days
  • Photo ID such as a state ID card or driver’s license
  • If you are a resident alien, a permanent resident card

You will be fingerprinted.



You will be notified if your application has been approved.

Find a CCW Training Class

What Are the Firearms Training Requirements in Washington?

Washington does not require the applicant to complete a firearms safety course or otherwise demonstrate knowledge of firearms safety prior to issuance of a pistol license. However, the USCCA recommends that anyone who makes the choice to carry a concealed firearm obtain as much training as possible in order to be a responsibly armed American.

What Are the Washington License to Carry a Handgun Requirements?

An applicant must:

  • Be at least 21 years of age;
  • Have no pending charges;
  • Have no outstanding arrest warrants;
  • Have no felony convictions;
  • Not be subject to a court order or injunction concerning the possession of firearms;
  • Not be free on bond or personal recognizance while awaiting trial, appeal or sentencing for a felony offense;
  • Not have been asked to forfeit a firearm within the last 12 months;
  • Not have a revoked concealed pistol license; and
  • Meet federal law requirements.

*Consult with an attorney if you have any questions about your eligibility. If you don’t have an attorney, you can find one by contacting the State Bar of Washington.

What are the Fees and Terms?

Valid for Five Years from Date of Issue

$32 Permit Renewals

30 Day Processing; 60 Days Without Washington Driver's License

$36 for Initial License + Fingerprinting Fee

Where Can I Find Application Forms?


What Concealed Carry Permit Options Exist Based on Residency?

Non-Resident Concealed Carry Licenses:

The process is the same as for a resident of Washington but cannot be done via mail and requires that you appear in person at any local law enforcement agency in Washington. [RCW 9.41.290]

Residency Changes:

Moving to Washington and interested in applying for a resident license? How soon can you apply?Washington issues resident and non-resident licenses, so you can apply for your license at any time. Washington law requires that once a person becomes a resident of Washington, he or she must obtain a Washington concealed pistol license to continue carrying a concealed pistol. He or she must apply in person at a local law enforcement office.

Moving from Washington and have a Washington resident license? Does that license transfer to your new state? Is there a grace period during which your Washington license remains valid?If a person with a Washington concealed pistol license establishes residency in another state, the license is valid until it expires provided the individual contacts the local sheriff's office with documentation of their new address.

How Do I Renew My Concealed Carry Permit in Washington?

You can renew your license between 90 days before it expires to 90 days after it expires, although a late renewal fees apply. If your license is more than 90 days past its expiration, you must apply for a new license.


COMPLETE an application form at your local city police department or sheriff’s office or download the application.



You must renew your license in person. Take the completed application to the law enforcement office with the following:

  • Photo ID such as a state ID card or driver’s license; and
  • If you are a resident alien, a permanent resident card.


You will be notified by mail if your application has been approved.

Become a member of the USCCA today!

The USCCA has the CCW Permit Resources You Need

Become a member
Find a USCCA class near you!

Learn the Skills You Need to Protect You & Your Family

Find a USCCA Class

Do Your Homework!

Make sure you understand Washington Gun Laws and Washington concealed carry reciprocity with other states.