Former State Prosecutor Tom Grieve answers the question on many concealed carriers’ minds: “How much is this going to cost?” As you may have predicted, a self-defense case that makes it to criminal court will not be cheap.

What Affects the Cost?

Are the charges occurring in state court or federal court? Where the charges are filed can affect how long a case will take. (It could go anywhere from three months to a year or more depending on the investigation and the motions filed.) You could end up with hundreds of thousands of billable hours instead of the 20 averaged on something as simple as a drunk-driving case.

And you won’t have just one attorney. There’s going to be a team of experts and attorneys. And then there could be appeals and bail hearings as well. So there really is no short and simple answer … but you can count on it costing a truckload.

About Tom Grieve

Tom Grieve is a highly awarded former state prosecutor. He started Grieve Law, LLC, now one of the most successful criminal-defense law firms in Wisconsin. He is a respected top criminal-defense lawyer in the state and has a deep knowledge of Wisconsin firearms law. Tom has gone above and beyond and has also received his certification as a firearms instructor. He participates as a regular speaker and panelist with the USCCA for live broadcasts, training videos and national expos and even serves as a speaker and analyst on numerous radio and TV stations and college and law school campuses.

The information contained on this website is provided as a service to USCCA, Inc. Members and the concealed carry community and does not constitute legal advice. Although we attempt to address all areas of concealed carry laws in all states, we make no claims, representations, warranties, promises or guarantees as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information disclosed. Legal advice must always be tailored to the individual facts and circumstances of each individual case. Laws are constantly changing, and, as such, nothing contained on this website should be used as a substitute for the advice of a lawyer for a specific case.