Responsibly armed Americans want to know, can you lose your possessions, money and home after a self-defense incident, even if you’ve been found not guilty. Former state prosecutor Tom Grieve says absolutely, yes. The reasons behind a civil suit are more complex, however.

Rules Can Vary

There are different rules in place for criminal versus civil court cases. The burden of proof is much higher for a criminal case than that of a civil suit. Therefore, it’s a lot easier to find you guilty in civil court.

For instance, in a criminal ruling, the judge and jury may be allowed to hear that the person who broke into your home has done so 10 times before. But that may not come up in civil court. It may not be fair, but it will be easier to contend with if you have the knowledge beforehand.

About Tom Grieve

Tom Grieve is a highly awarded former state prosecutor who started Grieve Law, LLC, which is now one of the largest criminal-defense firms in Wisconsin. He is respected as one of the top criminal-defense lawyers in the state and has developed a nuanced understanding of Wisconsin firearms laws throughout his years of experience. Although Tom’s legal background speaks for itself, he has gone above and beyond the call of duty, receiving his certification as a firearms instructor, participating as a regular speaker and panelist with the USCCA for live broadcasts, training videos and national expos, and even serving as a speaker and analyst on numerous radio stations, television stations, and both college and law school campuses.

The information contained on this website is provided as a service to USCCA, Inc. Members and the concealed carry community and does not constitute legal advice. Although we attempt to address all areas of concealed carry laws in all states, we make no claims, representations, warranties, promises or guarantees as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information disclosed. Legal advice must always be tailored to the individual facts and circumstances of each individual case. Laws are constantly changing, and, as such, nothing contained on this website should be used as a substitute for the advice of a lawyer for a specific case.