Some folks might argue that gun ownership and the Republican identity have almost become inseparable. To that point, Republican candidates and representatives have historically supported law-abiding Americans’ basic right to self-defense and opposed “big government” and its attempts to pass laws that try to infringe on that right.
This gun-rights advocacy harmonizes with the Republican Party’s core ideologies — that the first 10 amendments of the Constitution describe the inalienable rights of every individual American. And among these undeniable rights is “the right to keep and bear arms” as described in the Second Amendment. Accordingly, the GOP can be relied upon to oppose nearly all manner of gun-control legislation (apart from those that restrict the criminal use of guns or the rights of convicted felons).
If you had to separate out the candidates (and any of their personal biases or differences) and just look at the overall Republican Platform, here is what you can learn and what you can look for to be better prepared for casting your vote in the election next month.
According to the GOP website, the Republican Party recognizes:
- The individual right to keep and bear arms
- The God-given right to self-defense and to safeguard our homes, loved ones and communities
- The natural, inalienable right protected by the Constitution and secured by the Second Amendment
- Lawful gun ownership
- Firearms-reciprocity legislation in all 50 states
- Constitutional carry statutes
On the contrary, the Republican Party opposes:
- Laws that restrict magazine capacity
- Laws that ban the sale of AR-15s
- Efforts that deprive individuals of their right to keep and bear arms without due process of law
- Lawsuits against gun manufacturers
- Illegal harassment of firearms dealers
- Federal licensing or registration of law-abiding gun owners
- Registration of ammunition
- Restoration of former President Bill Clinton’s gun ban
Whether you are new to guns or you have been part of the firearms community for a long time, it’s important to understand what the Republican Party believes about firearms. And, most of all, we need to recognize that when it comes to guns, the Republican and Democratic parties are diametrically opposed. Keep this in mind while voting. It’s our responsibility to vote for candidates who will support our Second Amendment.
The choice is clear for me. I’m voting for my right to protect myself and the ones I love.
About Beth Alcazar
Boasting several training certifications including TWAW, SIG Sauer Academy, ALICE Institute and I.C.E. Training, Beth Alcazar is enthusiastic about safe and responsible firearms ownership. She has nearly two decades in the firearms industry and is a Certified Training Instructor and Senior Training Counselor for the USCCA and Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer and Certified Instructor for the NRA. The associate editor of Concealed Carry Magazine, Beth also uses her experience and degrees in language arts, education and communication management to author Women’s Handgun & Self-Defense Fundamentals.