As citizens of the U.S., we have real choices. In Venezuela, Russia, China and so many other parts and parcels of the world, the choices are apparent but not real. Dictators “stand for office” but are assured of winning with 98-99 percent of the vote.
Why bother to vote when you know the election is meaningless? Because otherwise armed men will knock on your door in the middle of the night and ask why you didn’t bother … and your response better be correct.
The choices in the U.S. November 2020 elections are stark. One political party appears to be for the gun owners and open carry and concealed carry advocates. And one party appears to be inflexibly opposed and will inundate Congress and state legislatures with anti-gun regulations, laws and bureaucratic rules.
This is the position of the Biden/Harris ticket as printed in the official Democratic Party Platform for 2020:
- Ban the manufacture and sale of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.
- End online sales of guns and ammunition.
- Ensure [that] the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention “have sufficient resources to study gun violence as a public health issue.”
- Enact universal background checks.
- Halt the safety valve that allows would-be gun buyers to receive a firearm after a background check has stalled out for more than three days.
- Require guns be safely stored in homes.
- Push for states to enact licensing requirements for owning firearms.
- Incentivize states to implement extreme risk protection order (ERPO) laws.
- Prioritize repealing the law that shields gun manufacturers from lawsuits.
Now, contrast this with the position of the Trump/Pence ticket as articulated by the Republican National Committee’s previous platforms:
- We uphold the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, a right which antedated the Constitution and was solemnly confirmed by the Second Amendment. (2012)
- We acknowledge, support and defend the law-abiding citizen’s God-given right of self-defense. We call for the protection of such fundamental individual rights recognized in the Supreme Court’s decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago affirming that right, and we recognize the individual responsibility to safely use and store firearms. This also includes the right to obtain and store ammunition without registration. (2012)
- We support the fundamental right to self-defense wherever a law-abiding citizen has a legal right to be, and we support federal legislation that would expand the exercise of that right by allowing those with state-issued carry permits to carry firearms in any state that issues such permits to its own residents. (2012)
- Our Party honors the great American tradition of hunting, and we applaud efforts […] to make more public lands available to hunters, to increase access to hunting clinics and safety programs for children and adults, and to improve opportunities for hunting for Americans with disabilities. (2004)
- We believe the Second Amendment and all the rights guaranteed by it should enable law-abiding citizens throughout the country to own firearms in their homes for self-defense. We applaud those seeking to stop frivolous lawsuits against firearms manufacturers, which is a transparent attempt to deprive citizens of their Second Amendment rights. We oppose federal licensing of law-abiding gun owners and national gun registration as a violation of the Second Amendment and an invasion of privacy of honest citizens. (2004)
- Through programs like Project Exile, we will hold criminals individually accountable for their actions by strong enforcement of federal and state firearm laws, especially when guns are used in violent or drug-related crimes. (2000)
Now, the choice is yours. Whatever you believe, vote your conscience. And you must vote because the November election will impact America’s future for many generations.